Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What's New?

With the political wind blowing in every direction, it can often times be discouraging when we think about where the future is taking us.

I have to tell you that some very exciting things are going on in Texas right now.
At this time, we have over 12 trainings scheduled across the state to train employees in the juvenile system about Visions For Tomorrow. The secret of these classes is not only do they learn about how Visions can help families and all about NAMI, but the employees are taught the same communication skills and advocacy skills that our parents learn during their classes.

I guarantee you that these professionals come away with a much better understanding of what our families are dealing with – not just the illness but with insurance companies, the systems and stigma in general by the end of the day. And I can only believe that they grow as advocates because of the experience.

In the meantime, these professionals are telling others about our wonderful program and the word is getting out and more requests are coming in, with other agencies wanting to know – Who is NAMI and what is Visions. I don’t know about you, but I find the possibilities encouraging when I get these calls and emails.

Also, as part of this professional in-service training, NAMI TX is offering a certificate of completion to these professionals and listing them on a directory on the VFT website of NAMI TX Certified Professionals. At this time, we have over 60 professionals listed in our directory and this is just the first month of the program!!!

On a personal note, I have been asked to participate in a new book project being developed by Lisa Nichols. Lisa Nichols is the founder of Motivating the Teen Spirit and wrote the Chicken Soup for the African American Soul. Many of you might recognize her from her movie, “The Secret”. Ms. Nichols is an inspiring and uplifting woman who radiates strength and hope. She was my personal coach several years back and I found the experience to be one of the most positive changes in my life.

As this project progresses, I will keep you updated. I am part of a “test group” that she is practicing some new techniques and exercise on for her newest workshop.

Many affiliates are underway with their NAMI Walks. I wish you the best of luck and happy fundraising as you go.

And remember, NAMI TX is here to support you in any way we can. Relax and take a deep breath! Spring is on its way!

My best to you all!
Deb Rose

No comments: