Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Long

Pictures of Ireland cause me to ache
Like a well known memory
She’s not in my mind
So must be in my blood
And it’s an ache of which I don’t wish to be free

I sit among the hustle and tussle of today
Feeling quite like I don’t belong
While something else tugs on my heart
Nay, even my soul. And closing my eyes –
well it only makes it more strong

Is this something I knew and can’t quite reclaim
Or is it something I’ve yet to see
The ache is nameless and at my core
Is the ache for what I haven’t recalled or
for something that will never be

Your greens and your purples and your blues
and the lilt of your sons call my name
We know each other, and though we’re much apart
Is it because you are my home, my destiny
Where I must go or from where I first came

No comments: