Sunday, December 30, 2007

Recovery? - I want cure!

I want to thank all of you that read my blog and send me private emails. The blog has proven to be helpful for me, and I am pleased also to others. I try to post to it at least twice a week and am currently working on an article related to the recent poll that was active on the blog.

I welcome all your emails and comments. I thank you all for your support. If you have any ideas or subjects you would like to run a poll on and have a running commentary about, please email me or post a comment directly to the blog.

It seems that we (meaning all of us NAMI advocates and members) are needed more than ever. Did you know there is a group that focuses on infants and mental health?
You can find their website at http://www.taimh.org/

Of course, we VFT teachers knew this need was growing. In our VFT classes, we have had parents with children as young as 2 being treated for bipolar disorder. Autism and Asperger Disorders are getting younger and younger diagnosis, with a higher success in a recovery plan, because of early diagnosis.

While I am happy to know that awareness is growing, part of me is sad to know that not even our babies are safe from these illnesses. If you visit the above mentioned website, you will see they have a conference coming up with loads of workshops that look interesting. So take a peak, why not?

We talk about successful recovery. I am ready to talk about prevention and finding cures, aren’t you? I know that is not something most of us are going to see in our lifetime, but can’t we start pushing for it now? Just today, the military announced the use of a more sophisticated brain scan to study brain injuries in our war vets. If biological components can be found that are related to PTS and anxiety and other kinds of symptoms, can a cure for some of the brain disorders be far behind?

I wish you all a Happy New Year that is blessed with health and recovery. My most recent blog discusses how relapses affect the entire family. So I am sincere when I wish ALL of us health and recovery.

My best to you all.

No comments: